This is another thing that I baked up during my bronchitis week. I recently discovered this blog: NoobCook, written by Wiffy, and after hours of reading, I have concluded that she is definitely NOT a noob at cooking…unlike me.
I was so terribly bored at home that I volunteered to cook dinner (my mom was over the moon), and this was what I made…We had ham left over from Thanksgiving dinner as well as a can of pineapple sitting in the pantry, I saw this dish on NoobCook about a week ago, and gave it a go. It was super easy to make and my family loved the dish. Throw in a salad or some steamed veggies and you have got yourself a fantastic dinner, big enough to feed the entire family. I slightly modified the amount of ingredients because I had an excess of ham and only one small can of pineapples, but the dish still turned out lovely. If you want Wiffy’s original recipe, please click on the link above and it should direct you directly to her page.
About 2 cups uncooked rice
Water to cook rice
5 garlic cloves
1 cup pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
Lots of ham (I used around 1 1/2 – 2 cups), cut to small squares
1 Tbsp canola oil
6 Tbsp cream of mushroom soup (no water added)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
Salt & Pepper
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, heat oil. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice.
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the pineapples and sliced ham, saving some as toppings. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese followed by the rest of the pineapples and ham.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 375F for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.