Question: What’s better on a Sunday morning than a fresh, crispy waffles drizzled in chocolate sauce and strawberry compote?
Answer: Two fresh, crispy waffles drizzled in chocolate sauce and strawberry compote!!
K got me a waffle maker for my birthday last year and over the past few month, I have been trying various concoctions to find the ultimate waffle recipe. After months of experimentation, it turns out that the recipe from our waffle maker’s user manual is my personal favorite.
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) water
2-1/4 teaspoons (11 ml) active dry yeast (one packet)
3 cups (750 ml) sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt
3 large eggs, separated + 1 egg white
1/3 cup (75 ml) sugar
8 tablespoons (125 ml) unsalted butter – melted and cooled
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vegetable oil
2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) whole milk
- Heat 1/2 of the water to lukewarm (not hot, or else you’ll kill the yeast). Dissolve the yeast in the water with a pinch of the sugar from the recipe; let stand 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture begins to foam.
- Put the flour and salt into a large bowl; stir to blend and reserve.
- Add the egg yolks, one of the egg whites, and remaining sugar to the yeast mixture; stir to blend. Add the remaining water, milk, melted butter, oil, and vanilla; stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites gently into the batter. Let the batter stand for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle maker to your preferred setting
- Pour some batter into the preheated waffle iron. Use a heat-proof spatula to spread the batter evenly over the grids. Close lid.
- Remove when waffle it is golden brown and repeat until all batter is used. Waffles may be kept warm in a low 200° F (93° C) oven. Place waffles arranged on a cookie sheet on a rack in the warm oven.
- Serve with whipped cream, fruit, jam, powdered sugar, chocolate syrup or berry compote!
Happy Sunday everyone! Have a fabulous day!
Recipe from Warning Pro Recipes