The weather in the past few days have been pretty miserable. It has been rainy and windy this entire week. I haven’t seen a ray of sunshine in the past 4 days and the weather network is not cooperating either.
Some comfort food is exactly what K and I needed. And meatloaf is the perfect dish for that. Milk Chocolate and potato chips would make the perfect side dishes.
Did you know that making meatloaf involves a lot of meaty-ness?
I mean… I understand that meatloaf = a loaf of meat. But still… I have discovered that making meatloaf requires 3 essential meaty steps:
First step: careful selection and purchasing of meats
Second step: mixing of meats. Doable with a large spoon, but for optimal results, hands must be used.
Third step: Formation of meats into loaf-like structures.
I strongly believe that those 3 steps are critical to making a good meatloaf.
1 cup of finely chopped onion*
1 celery, chopped fine*
1 Tbsp minced garlic*
1/2 cup of finely chopped scallions/green onions*
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 tsp Worscestershire sauce
2/3 cup ketchup
1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
3/4 pound of spicy ground Italian sausage
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten slightly
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large heavy skillet cook the onion, celery, garlic, and scallions in butter, over medium heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/3 a cup of ketchup. Cook for 1 more minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, vegetables, bread crumbs, and parsley. Form into a loaf and put into a rectangular loaf baking pan. Cover the loaf with remaining ketchup.
- Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 1.5 hours (the original recipe calls for 1 hour in the oven, but I had to cook mine for 1.5 hrs, so just check at 1 hr and see if your loaf is fully cooked)
* to save time, I used a food processor to finely chop the onions, celery, garlic and scallions.
Recipe adapted from Elise at Simply Recipes