In my humble, totally non-objective opinion, the best way to kick off the new year is to bake up a storm.
What’s better than a house filled with the aroma of butter browning, flour rising and chocolates melting….
I found the recipe for this Brown Butter Pineapple Upside-Down Cake on 80 Breakfasts. I have made pineapple upside down cakes before, but never with brown butter. This new brown butter addition makes quite a big difference and also fills the house with this ridiculously delicious scent.
Actually…Come to think of it…There should be brown butter perfumes out there.
I would wear it.
There should also be brown butter deodorants…
Can you imagine if your armpits smelled like a glorious French bakery?!?!
I’m just filled with brilliant ideas like these…
I’m just brilliant…
Here’s the recipe…
1/3 cup butter, softened not melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
6-8 pineapple rings
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
5/8 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spread the softened butter on the base of an 8-inch cake pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Arrange the pineapple on top of the sugar. Set aside and get on with your batter.
- Melt the butter in a skillet until browned, Strain (optional) and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the sugar with the egg. In another bowl, whisk your flour and baking powder together, then add to the egg mixture. Add the cooled brown butter and whisk until just combined. Pour the batter over the prepared pineapples in the pan. Place the cake pan on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until a pick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and loosen the sides of the cake with a small sharp knife. Place a plate over the cake pan and flipped the pan over onto the plate. Remove pan and enjoy!
Recipe from 80 Breakfasts.