I’ve been on a serious rye bread kick lately, putting everything from brie cheese, raspberry jam, to avocado and hot sauce on it! And yes, avocado and hot sauce on toast IS delicious. Don’t believe me? Check out this sweet little video by Claire Thomas, and you’ll be trying it by tomorrow, guaranteed.
Buttery mushrooms on toast is one of my favorite comfort food items, and by putting a fried egg on top, this dish has just been elevated to another level!
I only had brown button mushrooms on hand, but if your local farmers’ market has a more diverse selection of these delicious fugal fruting bodies (sorry, I was a biology major)… please, go wild.
Here is what you will need:
2-3 TBsp butter or margarine
1 large shallot
3 (heaping) Cups mushrooms (button, porcini, chanterelle, etc.)
1/4 Cup red wine
2 tsp fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1-2 tsp canola oil
4 free range, organic eggs
4 rye slices
- Gently brush the mushrooms to remove any dirt, then cut into slices. Also roughly chop the shallot and the italian parsley, set aside.
- Melt 2 TBsp of butter/margarine in a large pan over medium-high heat and throw in the shallots. Once the shallots have softened, pour in the red wine and let the sauce simmer and reduce by half.
- Add the mushrooms, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir everything around until the shrooms are soft and picking up colour (about 8-10 minutes). As the mushrooms soften in the pan, throw in another small dollop of butter…just because more butter, the better.
- Add in the chopped parsley and turn off the heat. Continue stirring for a bit to incorporate the green leaves.
- Meanwhile, as the mushrooms are almost done cooking, heat another small pan with canola oil on medium high heat and fry the eggs sunny side up. Also, toast your rye slices too!
- Top each slices of rye with big spoonfuls of mushrooms, and a fried egg. Sprinkle with salt/pepper, and any left over parsley leaves. Serve immediately.
* If you like to add little bit of acidity, feel free to squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the mushrooms!
* Obviously, if you are vegetarian, omit the eggs and use margarine.